RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

I have raised my grandaughter most of her life but her Mom

Customer Question

I have raised my grandaughter most of her life but her Mom passed away last year and I have no legal custody. My son(her father is not on Birth Certificate) and she is trying to get her license. We went to get it they told us someone needs legal guardianship to sign for her. So we thought maybe emancipation. She gets SS checks from her moms death. Would she lose SS and would we still be able to keep her under our health insurance. She has always been on our insurance. Thank you Julie Caruso
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I think either you or your son needs to apply for guardianship. If she is emancipated you would probably not be able to carry her here on your insurance as a dependent.

Either of you could do so. The court usually won't emancipate her if she isn't self supporting here. And she might very well loose here SS here if she is emancipated as she is then an adult under the law.

You need to do the guardianship here to keep under insurance and eligible for the SS. It will protest here in such a situation. I wish you good luck here and sympathy for the problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I apply for guardianship w/o a lawyer?
Sure, give me a state here and I'll try and find you forms..