AttySince1978, Lawyer
Experience:  Family Law for over 20 years, which included acting as settlement Judge in the Family Law Courts.

I have a couple of questions about how to proceed with with

I have a couple of questions about how to proceed with with ending a marriage/domestic partnership. I was legally married in California on August 8, 2008. I understand that I will need to file for annulment or divorce. But, will I also need to file to end the domestic partnership (with the same person), that was recognized by the state in 1998? As I now reside in Oregon, where my California marriage is not recognized legally, am I now considered "single" for legal purposes or entering into another domestic partnership?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttySince1978 replied 7 years ago.
Oregon does not recognize California domestic partnerships. It is in the state of California where the partnership receives all the benefits.
Many counties ie. San Francisco, have legal forms that you can file that will terminate the domestic partnership. You should contact the San Francisco County Clerk's office and ask them to send you a termination form for you to complete and return. Since Oregon doesn't recognize California domestic partnerships than you are treated as single by them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
With regard to the marriage and domestic partnership, do you know if the marriage certificate supercedes the domestic partnership? Or do I have to do the divorce and also do the termination of domestic partnership?
The marriage certificate always supersedes the domestic partnership.
You should dissolve the marriage and terminate the partnership.
You should take the necessary steps to legally end both named relationships.