Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

my 18 yr. old daughter lives with me and my 11month old grandson..

Customer Question

my 18 yr. old daughter lives with me and my 11month old grandson.. her boyfriend comes and visits everyday..i provide 50 plus of my grandsons needs.last night we got into an arugment and will i was sleeping she took off with the baby to go and stay at boyfriends house..she already ran off with the boyfriend once when she was prengantand im afraid she will do this again what can i do....
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
If she is 18, you can't legally stop her from running off. She's an adult and she can make decisions for herself.

The only thing you can do is cut her off financially, which could force her back to you.   
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
KATIE AND THE BABY LIVE WITH ME THEY HAD NO RIGHT TO LEAVE AND GO TO NATES HOUSE TO SLEEP AFTER I WENT TO BED..I HAVE HOUSE RULES AND SHE THINKS THAT SHE IS 18 AND A MOTHER SHE DOESNT HAVE TO FOLLOW THEM. NATE CAN ONLY COME OVER FROM 7 TO 9 THEN HE HAS TO LEAVE HE CAME BACK TO GET THEM.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
You don't have to provide her a place to stay because she is 18 (an adult under NY law).

You can make her move out or warn her that if she does this again, you'll make her move.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
SO WHAT YOUR TELLING ME IS THAT SHE CAN DO WHAT SHE WANTS WITH THE BABY AND THERES NOTHING I CAN DO..THATS PUTING THE BABY AT HARM BECAUSE SHE IS STUPID...SO WHATS FAIR....
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, yes. It's her child, not yours. She can do whatever she wants to with the child. If you think she's an unfit mother, you can report her to child services and ask that you be given custody.

However, if you don't have custody, you can't control what she does with the child.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK WELL THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
You're welcome. Sorry the news is not better .