Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

Although my ex-wife maintains physical custody of our two children,

Although my ex-wife maintains physical custody of our two children, we share legal custody. She is refusing to allow our youngest son (10) to attend recommended counseling. What right(s) do I have to force this issue and what is the best way to proceed?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
Share legal custody means both parents have to agree. When there is disagreement and the counseling is necessary for the child's best interests, you can only press the matter by requesting a review hearing for the Judge to make the decision. Depending on the state you live, this may be called an Order to Show Cause, or a Notice of motion, you would have to ask the court clerk in the county which issued the order on how to set the hearing and get the forms.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. The only way that I am legally responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with my law firm. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.