How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116252
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Once a child turns age 18 in the state of Indiana, what are

Resolved Question:

Once a child turns age 18 in the state of Indiana, what are the father's responsibilities in terms of child support? If the child attends college, does this affect the amount paid/not paid?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
This is governed by the child support order. But under Indiana law, child support terminates when the child turns 21 or becomes emancipated, unless ordered otherwise by the court. Also, Ind. Code § 31-16-6-2 provides that a child support order may include sums for the child's education at institutions of higher learning, where appropriate.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
this doesn't fully answer my question. based on what you said, the father will have to continue to pay child support until age 21. If the mother wanted to increase the amount of child support to factor in the amount of the college education, would she have to take the father back to court to get the child support amount increased? i thought that the child had to pay 1/3, the mother 1/3 and the father 1/3 of the college but this does not appear to be the case based on what you have indicated.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
The IN law means that if additional support for higher education was not included in the support award, the person receiving the support would have to return to court to seek a modification of the support award and the cost would be spread between the two parents, not the child unless it can be shown the child is employed full time and supporting himself/herself.
Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions