JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

I just recently had m divore finalized in Bell County Texas.

I just recently had m divore finalized in Bell County Texas. I it was stated on the decree, that I have to pay all of our debts. I paid most of them, but because child support is so high, and i owe alomony, what would happen if I had one of the vehicles voluntary repo'ed? I know my credit wouldn't be good for a while but I can deal with that. I want to know what the court penalties would be?
It will depend on how the order was worded. If you were ordered to pay the debts as child support or alimony then you could be held in contempt and jailed. However, if you were ordered to pay them just as a part of the settlement of the estate you could be held in contempt and a judgment entered against you for the value of the vehicle as well as attorney's fees and costs but would not be jailed. In Texas it is nearly impossible to collect on a judgment.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It was listed in the part of the divison of the estate, she has the vehicle, I am not sure what exactly you mean. So I would have to pay her the money for the vehicle any way? You said in texas it is nearly imposible to collect on judgements, what exaclty do mean, so if i default the payment, i would just have to pay court fees, and a fine? I am currently in the US Army and deployed to Iraq, so, I don't have many more options left.
Texas does not allow wages to be garnished except for child support and alimony and the personal property exemption is very high so realistically there is almost nothing that can be gotten to pay a debt like this.

If you don't pay the court would enter a judgment against you for the value of the car and the judgment would stay on your record for ten years or until you pay the debt, whichever is first.

In addition, you have the right not to be forced to go to court as long as you are deployed.