Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

My sons g/fs sister just had his baby. She does not want

My son's g/f's sister just had his baby. She does not want the child but he does. The nurses at the hospital said she could give the baby to whomever she wanted. At this point, she signed the baby over to her sister, my son's g/f. What does my son have to do to gain custody of this child? His plans did not include staying with his g/f .
Your son needs to petition the court to establish paternity. In an unmarried situation, the father has no legal rights until he establishes paternity, this is why mom was able to give the baby over to her sister. However, since your son wants to be in the child's life, he needs to file for paternity at court to get his legal rights over the child. Once he has those rights he can fight for custody.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, that is the only way I get paid. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner[lawNinvest]. Thank you.