Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

Can an man and a woman buy a house without being married If

Can an man and a woman buy a house without being married? If they do buy a house together will they be considered common law married?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
Yes, a man and woman can purchase a home together.

No, this will not result in an automatic common law marriage. Not all states recognize common law relationships and mere home purchase is not enough to make you a married couple. The few states that recognized common law marriages require that you 1) declare yourself as husband and wife to the community, 2) one add the other to their health benefits or file taxes together as examples.

The only states which recognize common law marriages are as follows:

District of Columbia
Georgia (if created before 1/1/97)
Idaho (if created before 1/1/96)
New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only)
Ohio (if created before 10/10/91)
Pennsylvania (if created before 1/1/05)
Rhode Island
South Carolina

Again buying a house will not make you into a common law spouse. There needs to be evidence of the intent to marry, the intent to be treated as husband and with, the act of adding you to his benefits or filing taxes as examples.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, that is the only way I get paid. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner[lawNinvest]. Thank you.