Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

I recently gave custody to my daughters Dad. He signed and

Customer Question

I recently gave custody to my daughters Dad. He signed and agreement that I would not pay him support in the custody agreement. Now I went to court and the judge awarded him child support of 80 a week. (I make 11.80/hr.) He only paid me 70 a week and he makes 17/hr., I really feel this is a bit unfair also I am a single parent of a younger daughter which I receive no child support for, can this be right?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately there is nothing illegal about what the judge did. I'm sorry you retained an attorney who gave you false hope because the attorney should have told you that the judge would award support. You can not contract out of child support payments unless there is some other "like-kind" support being provided of similar value such as you're paying private educational expenses, elective medical procedures, special trips or something else that you normally would not have to pay. Your best option would be to seek a modification of the amount as being excessive because the judge did not take into account the support you provide for a child not subject to the petition. If the judge did not take into account your other daughter then you may have a way to reduce the support amount.