How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question

RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29751
Experience:  29 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am seperating from my 3 year old daughters mother and I

Resolved Question:

I am seperating from my 3 year old daughter's mother and I need help making sure that I prepare myself for the time our child custody battle gets here. What should I be doing to protect myself? I want nothing less than 50/50 custody, so what do I do to prepare myself on a daily basis and I own our home. What do I do process wise to have a smooth transition for the mother of my daughter to leave the home, because it is a a very stressful environment that I don't want my daughter to be subjected too.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. You would be able to file for divorce here and have the court award you possession of your house. Avoid domestic violence issues at all cost. Consider filing for divorce here and get protective orders issued quickly.

The sooner you split here the less likely of such an issue. Just be aware that one of the oldest tricks is to call the cops and claim abuse so that you are then excluded from your own house. Just try to keep involved in your daughter's life here day to day. Consider looking into day care if the child has not been to one.

Also spend your time her finding a lawyer herre. Check out a couple and see which one you feel a rapport and comfortable with. My rule is if they don't make you feel comfortable and easy to work with then try a second one here.

Do this before you actually file. Consider a strike here where you file, serve her and then have the lawyer setting up temporary orders hearing as soon as possible.

Also you need to separate your life including accounts and credit cards, bills, and taxes. Prepare for your life as a single person here and all of this will transition more smoothly. Make a plan and work on it just like anything else. I wish you good luck here and sympathy for the situation.


Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I didn't include the fact that we are not married and have been living together on and off for 3 years

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 years ago.
Then you are looking at paternity suit instead of divorce. This may actually be less complicated. You can tell her to leave. If she doesn't you may have to treat her a month to month tenant and give 30 days written notice and then evict if you have to here. The court will adjudicate you the father and assign you custody and visitation..
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29751
Experience: 29 years as a family law lawyer .
RayAnswers and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Last | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    27+ years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 15 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Thoreau (T-USA)'s Avatar

    Thoreau (T-USA)


    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions