Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am a Muslim American US citizen (gender male). My question

Customer Question

I am a Muslim American US citizen (gender: male). My question is: Under the United Arab Emirates law, is it legal for a female UAE Muslim citizen to marry an American citizen male who is also Muslim? I hear they are not allowed too. If this is false and female UAE Muslim citizen can marry American Muslim citizens, then are there any restrictions that must be followed under UAE law or the US law? I reside in America not the UAE, and we would marry in the UAE if possible. Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 5 years ago.
I can only speak to US law. Is that sufficient?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Actually, I need information on UAE marriage laws because that is what I am most unclear about. I do not know how UAE marriage laws for their citizens work or does not work with US citizens. Their (UAE) laws are different for their residents as oppossed to their citizens I believe. There is no problem with US citizens marrying residents of UAE. But US citizens marrying UAE citizens could be fuzzy.
OK. I will opt out so another expert can assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No other expert got back to me and I was able to find an answer to my question on my own. Here is the response that I received for my question. The source of my response came from Yahoo! Answers:

The answer to my question is as follows:

An UAE girl can get married to a Muslim foreigner after she received the permission from the Abu Dhabi Authorities to do so. Not to long ago, the law even got changed, that she also will be able to keep her nationality (it was different before). If she will receive the permission also will depend on if her parents agree with that marriage or not. Decisions will be made case by case.

The last 7 years only around 500 Emarati women got married to foreigners, mostly from other Arab countries. Please be aware of the legal consequences of this kind of marriage.

You are not able to gain UAE citizenship through marriage,
your kids will be Americans,
your kids will not be entitled to the benefits received by Emarati citizen etc., etc.

Please NEVER get married without the Government's permission. Otherwise she will go through hell when ever her passport needs to be renewed. A friend of mine was in the same situation and was detained on the spot for 8 months when she came back to renew her passport.

Good luck!

################################################################

Please post this for others who may have the same question.

Thank you.