Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

Can you appeal a pendente lite support award What is the

Can you appeal a pendente lite support award? What is the filling called? In NJ
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
NJ permits the filing of an interlocutory appeal (an interim appeal) for pendente lite awards. You have to file within 20 days of the award.

Here is a discussion about the appeal.

Below is the statute for your review:

2:5-6. Appeals From Interlocutory Orders, Decisions and Actions

(a) Appeals. Applications for leave to appeal from interlocutory orders of courts or of judges sitting as statutory agents and from interlocutory decisions or actions of state administrative agencies or officers shall be made by serving and filing with the court or agency from which the appeal is taken and with the appellate court a notice of motion for leave to appeal, as prescribed by R. 2:8-1, within 20 days after the date of service of such order, administrative decision or notice of such administrative action. If, however, a motion to the trial court for reconsideration of the order from which leave to appeal is sought is filed and served within 20 days after the date of its service, the time to file and serve the motion for leave to appeal in the Appellate Division shall be extended for a period of 20 days following the date of service of an order deciding the motion for reconsideration. The filing of a motion for leave to appeal shall not stay the proceedings in the trial court or agency except on motion made to the court or agency which entered the order or if denied by it, to the appellate court.

(b) Cross Appeals. Applications for leave to cross appeal from interlocutory orders and administrative decisions or actions as to which leave to appeal has not already been granted shall be made by serving and filing with the appellate court a notice of motion within 20 days after the date of service of the court order or administrative decision appealed from or after notice of the agency or officer's action taken or, if no cross motion is filed, within 20 days following decision of a motion for reconsideration as provided by R. 2:5-6(a). If an appeal from an interlocutory order, decision or action is allowed, an application for leave to cross appeal (if the application has not been previously denied) may be made by serving and filing with the appellate court a notice of motion within 10 days after the date of service of the order of the appellate court allowing the appeal.

(c) Notice to the Trial Judge or Officer; Findings. A party filing a motion for leave to appeal from an interlocutory order shall serve a copy thereof on the trial judge or officer who entered the order. If the judge or officer has not theretofore filed a written statement of reasons or if no verbatim record was made of any oral statement of reasons, the judge or officer shall, within 5 days after receiving the motion, file and transmit to the clerk of the Appellate Division and the parties a written statement of reasons for the disposition and may also, within said time, comment on whether the motion for leave to appeal should be granted. Any statement of reasons previously made may also be amplified.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner[lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator