John, Lawyer
Experience:  Trial Attorney, licensed in FL, GA, & AL. Rated 10 / 10 by avvo.

I want to have visitation with my grandchildren. My son, his

I want to have visitation with my grandchildren. My son, his wife and children may live in Beverdam, VA. His father and step-mother say that my son does not want contact and that my son exacted a promise not to tell me anything about them.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Grandparents do not really have rights to visitation in Virginia. This website lists some attorneys you can talk to:

Please click accept.

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with? Did I answer you question? If not, please let me know how I can help further. If so, PLEASE click accept, so I can receive credit. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What do you mean that grandparents really don't have rights?

Why should I contact the suggested website? What would the outcome be?

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Under the law, there are no AUTOMATIC rights for grandparents of a grandchild in Virginia. My use of "really" was accidental. Grandparents can petition for visitation if there is any disruption to the conventional family unit, including not only divorce but also adoption, the death of a parent, or the termination of parental rights.

The website is an advocacy site and has the name of at least two firms in Virginia that advocate for possible exceptions to the law.