RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

i was given my ex=wifes jeep in our mediation. i agreed to

i was given my ex=wifes jeep in our mediation. i agreed to pay for vehicle at the time, but can no longer afford to pay for it. the loan and registration are in her name. not mine at all.how can i get out of this, or can i just let it get repossed if she wont take it back?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. If you give it up here she could try and file contempt in the matter. But honestly it is her credit that takes a hit and they will come after her for the payment.

You may have to deal with her filing in family law but the creditor will pursue her because she is on the note. You may want to make your offer to return here to her in writing. This would offer you some protection. Based on your facts this is about all you can do and see what happens here. It's a debt here and she has real limited remedies if you can't pay. You have my sympathy for the situation and I wish you good luck..

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
if she does file for contempt. what types of reprocustions can the court inply upon me? can they still make me keep it even though i cant afford it?
They can fine you or jail you here for failure to comply. But it is hard for the court to do a lot to you if you can't pay. They really can't make you pay if you can't afford it. I wouldn't blame you for returning it here. If I was her and had my name on it I would take it back. She will be the real looser here but it may be your only real choice..