Lawboop, Lawyer
Experience:  Over ten years as an attorney counseling people and businesses.

I live in Ohio and my daughters father lives in Maryland. He

Customer Question

I live in Ohio and my daughters father lives in Maryland. He currently owes me over $46000.00 in back child support. He was awarded disability from social security in June. It will be paid out in a matter of days. My daughter will received a payment of $19000.00 in back money from social security that I was instructed to put into a custodial account. I know that he will also receive a back amount from social security. I alerted child support of this information back in June when I found out. I would like to know if social security is obligated to collect on my behalf the money that is due to me or do I need to get an attorney to try and collect the moeny that is due?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawboop replied 7 years ago.

I would not rely on child support enforcement for anything. Assuming Social Security was properly informed, SS is supposed to withhold the amount due on the back support judgment. But, in Ohio, each county enforcement agency has different levels of competency. Do you have anything in writing from the enforcement people and SS showing you they discussed this issue and have a set amount to be withheld, if not, I would follow up.

For the amount you are talking about though consider getting an attorney. Here is a list of lawyer referral programs for each county in Ohio. Go through your county bar for a referral to a domestic relations attorney. The LRS allows for an initial low cost consultation and if you need further work you can discuss it with counsel.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a letter from the Cleveland CSEA saying that they have contacted Maryland and Maryland woudl contact social security
Expert:  Lawboop replied 7 years ago.

You know up above where I state certain counties are more competent than others - that is not one of the more competent. They are overburdened.

Call the Cleveland Metro Bar Association referral program and seek an initial low cost consultation with a competent family law attorney.