JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

My husband left me 3 weeks ago just out of the blue. I am not

My husband left me 3 weeks ago just out of the blue. I am not sure but I think that he is having an affair. We have 2 children. I do not have a job. I am currently drawing unemployment and working part time. Bringing home barely enough to buy groceries. I cannot not cover any of our household bills. He makes $2000 every 2 weeks. He keeps telling me he will help me but has yet to do so. He is coming and going in our home as he pleases and spending little time with the children. He checks our mail, checks our phone messages and caller ID's on the phone. He works away for 7 days at a time and is home for 7 days. He works on a gas rig and drives our old car to the job site where he gets oil and grease all inside the car. He leaves us with a newer truck to drive while he is gone. When he comes home, he leaves me and the kids the old nasty car which is not reliable, has bad tires and is filthy and he takes the truck. What are my options without getting screwed?
Your best option right now is to file for separation/divorce and get order in place regarding spousal and child support. You can ask for the court to order counseling, although many attorneys feel that order of the court is not enforceable. You should also ask for the truck to be awarded to you on at least a temporary basis.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

There is a $700 monthly payment on the truck. I assume that I would be responsible for making that payment?

You may be, although the judge can also order him to pay the notes while the divorce is pending. You can also ask for permission to trade the truck in for something with a more reasonable note. The judge is likely to let you do that based on the facts you've given.