Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

Ive been waiting for 4 month for my soon-to-be ex wife to

Customer Question

I've been waiting for 4 month for my soon-to-be ex wife to bring her balance up to date with her lawyer so that our divorce papers will get sent to the county court for filing and finalization. I've signed everything I need to and she tells she has as well and all she has to do is bring her balance current. I'm suspicious that she's isn't paying her balance, but I can't wait any longer for our divorce to be finalized. Is there anything I can do to make sure the papers get filed and get this divorce behind me?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- Assuming you don't have your own lawyer to do the work then the only thing I know of is for you to bring her balance current so the lawyer will do the work. You can include some language in the decree that she owes you the money. You have no other way to force her do to anything however I would assume that if this is a pending case the court would request that the paperwork be filed at some point.

You can call her attorney and simply ask if you can pay the balance and get the paperwork filed. That would probably be the quickest way to get the job completed.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law