Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations of support, visitation, custody, etc.

im divorced with three children. their mother and i have joint

i'm divorced with three children. their mother and i have joint leagal custody, with the kids living with the mother. i have liberal visitation rights. my question is my son age 18 and still in school may be eligable to be classified as physically,and or mentally disabled. if i pursue the disability issue (to relieve his mother and i of large medical bills) and put him on social security may i be liable for child support even after he has attained adult status, but still lives with his mother?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you. So, if I suggest something you already tried, it's because I couldn't see part of your original question. Just write back to me and let me know.

Answer: If you get your son onto social security, you can arrange that his mother receive the social security payments. These will pay for your son's room and board. I don't have a crystal ball, but in this scenario, it is likely that a court will not award child support on top of the social security.

I'd be happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please "accept" my answer and ask for "Jane Doe Deer" the next time you use

I wish you the best.

Jane Doe Deer