Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I am married and have several Credit Cards, in my name only,

I am married and have several Credit Cards, in my name only, with on-going balances. A good part of this debt was incurred while married with her. I am current on all payments. My wife is concerned: would she be responsible for part of this debt if I were to die suddenly, or if we were to be divorced?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

No. The only person responsible for a debt is the one listed as the owner of the account. She could not be forced to assume the debt or otherwise pay them off.

IF this were to happen, the creditors would insist that she has to pay this because of your marriage. That is not true, and don't let them intimidate. What they're trying to do is have the surviving spouse agree to assume the debt - if this happens, the spouse is legally obligated to pay the debt because they've entered into a contract to do so.

As long as she denies responsibility and refuses to pay, they can't touch her.