Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

on 3rd march 2003, my husbands ex was given a court order (thru

on 3rd march 2003, my husbands ex was given a court order (thru the magistrates court in Brisbane) as part of the settlement agreement she was to transfer the title deeds of the house to my husband and to this date and many attempts for her to do so she has refused to do this. What can we do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- You need to file motion for contempt to get a court order to transfer the deeds. She is obviously in contempt of the court order so the court would likely order the transfer. Most courts will also award attorney fees in cases of contempt.

A court order is really your only recourse in this situation.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney of Law

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do we go about filing a motion for contempt also what does awarding attorney fees mean and to who?

You have to file the motion in the court where the decree is filed. It is a titled "Motion for Contempt" and is on the same heading as other paperwork in the case. You would then state your facts and that she has violated the decree by not signing over the property. If you hire an attorney, which I recommend, then he or she can prepare the documents correctly. The attorney fees would be awarded to you, assuming you hire an attorney. This would defray the cost of filing the motion.

Dave Kennett