How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, someone owes me a significant amount of money which they

Resolved Question:

Hi, someone owes me a significant amount of money which they told me they would pay back as soon as their inheritance comes through. Their parent passed away in West Virginia and they told me about a month ago that it went through probate in West Virginia with no problem. Now they are telling me that since the moneys are going to be dispersed here in New York and because they live in New york that it also has to go through probate here in new york. Does that sound right or does it sound like I am getting the run around?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 8 years ago.
Since the physical property is located in NY then it is common for the NY court to ask that it be probated in NY too. I haven't seen any documents obviously but what you friend can and does occur so it's possible he/she could be telling you the truth.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't know where the cash is that they are inheriting but there is supposedly property and business's in a few different states. So it is possible that before anything is paid out that it would have to go through Probate in New York as well as Probate in West Virgina (which took place already) where the parent resided
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 8 years ago.
Yes that is correct.
Daniel Solutions and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions