Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years

Hi, someone owes me a significant amount of money which they

Hi, someone owes me a significant amount of money which they told me they would pay back as soon as their inheritance comes through. Their parent passed away in West Virginia and they told me about a month ago that it went through probate in West Virginia with no problem. Now they are telling me that since the moneys are going to be dispersed here in New York and because they live in New york that it also has to go through probate here in new york. Does that sound right or does it sound like I am getting the run around?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
Since the physical property is located in NY then it is common for the NY court to ask that it be probated in NY too. I haven't seen any documents obviously but what you friend can and does occur so it's possible he/she could be telling you the truth.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know where the cash is that they are inheriting but there is supposedly property and business's in a few different states. So it is possible that before anything is paid out that it would have to go through Probate in New York as well as Probate in West Virgina (which took place already) where the parent resided
Yes that is correct.