Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

what is the punishment for breaking a court order i have

what is the punishment for breaking a court order? i have a court order saying that my husbands new girlfriend is not to be at the exchanges of the children, he said he plans on bringing her anyways...what can be done to stop him?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

You may want to consider a contempt action to compel your ex to adhere to the court order.

At the contempt hearing consider telling the judge that your ex blatantly disregards XXXXX XXXXX's order.

When someone violates the court orders they are considered to be in contempt of court. To enforce your rights you will need to file a motion for contempt. In that motion you indicate what the orders are and how he has violated them.

In general you can get these forms at your local court clerk's office where the orders were filed. You will need to complete the form and return it to the Clerk of the Court's office.

I hope that I have fully answered your question and the answer was helpful to you.

If you have any additional questions that you would like me to assist you with, you can start your question off with: This question is for FLANDNYLAWYER.

Please CLICK ACCEPT so I can receive credit - Bonus = job well done.

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what is the punishment for contempt of court?
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

The judge can jail the offender, fine the offender, change the custody arrangement or warn the offender that he will take one of these actions if it happens again. Typically the offender has to also pay court costs.

I hope that this information has helped you.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please ask for FLAandNYLawyer.

Please CLICK ACCEPT so I can receive credit

Bonus and Positive Feedback = job well done.