Family Law Answers
Family Law Answers, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  more than 16 years experience as an attorney - current family law litigation + mediation practice

i have two children with my ex boyfreind and want to know what

i have two children with my ex boyfreind and want to know what my rights are?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Law Answers replied 7 years ago.

Hi and thanks for your question.

If you are the custodial parent of the children, then your ex would have to pay child support for the children. If there are not current orders re: child support, then you can file a petition/motion with the court requesting that the court order that he has to pay child support to you for the children. If you let me know your state, I can find the on-line child support calculator so that you can get an idea of what you would be entitled to.

Re: your custody rights, if you don't already have custody orders in place regarding the children, you could file a petition/motion requesting that the court order custody/visitation of the children.

If you don't have court orders in place and you don't ask the court to issue orders, but if your ex boyfriend is the legal father of the children (on the birth certificate or other paternity acknowledgment by affidavit or court order), then both of you would have the same custody rights to the children and could come and go without the agreement of the other. This would be a risky environment for the kids and it would be best to secure a court order so that there is a legally enforceable court order

to decrease that risk.

I hope that this answers your question; if so, please click the green Accept button. Thanks very much and I wish you the best.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he is on both birth certificates but says our son is not his

I just saw in your original post that under "Optional Information" you've typed United Kingdom. When I first saw your post, this information did not appear for some reason.

If you're located in UK, then I will need to opt out of the question and refer you to one of our UK experts. Are you located in UK?