legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
4622441

My spouse wants to go to trial and expect a big pay off. She

Customer Question

My spouse wants to go to trial and expect a big pay off. She has in very way tried to make me look like the bad person. However, not succeeding in that, she is trying hard to bring me to my knees. What do I need to do to prepare for such an unnecessary battle that I think is a waste of money. I need some sort of mediator however she is unapproachable and I also have a restraining order that has expired. ????? I am very confuse and lost. Although I have a lawyer now, I think he is very passive and I have been out of the house for 2 years and having extremely high expenses since I am paying for everything including chid support.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 8 years ago.

You can fire your attorney and hire one that is more agressive and willing to force your spouse to getting a mediated settlement or finally going to hearing to get the divorce ordered.

You could also ask the court to reduce your financial obligation during the pendancy due to the spouse unnecessarily prolonging the process with her contentious and unfounded claims.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Firing the present attorney means I have to pay another lump sum of retainer to a new attorney. It has been 2 years now. My present counselor kept saying that I brought a lot problems with me when I see him. Restraining order, adult and child abuse that eventually were dropped due to unfounded claims. Should I represent myself and ask the court to reduce the financial obligation if I have to go to trial?