socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

recently married and my husband got a letter about back child

recently married and my husband got a letter about back child support for grown children. he is not working i am. will have to legally pay his child support?

No, unless you commingle your assets such that there is no way to determine whose are whose.

That is, the court can't garnish your income or consider it in making a support award. But, if the support obligee were to get a money judgment for support arrears, and if you and your husband owned a home together, the home could be sold under the judgment to satisfy the arrears. And, while you would get your portion of the money from the sale, that wouldn't mitigate the unbelievable inconvenience of such an occurrance.

So, you may want to consider keeping all of your assets separate until all of the arrears are paid off. This would include filing tax returns "married filing separately."

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.