JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

I have a friend in Texas who has been ordered to pay $400 a

I have a friend in Texas who has been ordered to pay $400 a month in back child support. The problem is that he is now making $24,000 per year and cannot afford to pay this amount. The child in question is 24 years old and lives in Atlanta. How can he get hisp ayments lowered?
From your description it sounds like he is going through the AGs office. He can file to "modify his child support" in a district/family court and seek to have it lowered. He will have to name the ex-wife as the party and also serve the AGs office.

To have any shot at all he needs to hire a lawyer to help him otherwise the AGs office will work the system.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What do you mean by the " AG will work the system"? He was never married to this woman and he also believes that she committed fraud and was working while receiving assistance fromt he government. Is there anyway to have this investigated? Correction, the youngman will be 23 next month.
He can try to report it and have her investigated but it won't affect his obligation to pay.

If he doesn't have a lawyer he will find it hard to get a hearing set in the regular court. The AG is likely to keep delaying until months have passed.