FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I am getting married and want to protect my pre-marrital assets

I am getting married and want to protect my pre-marrital assets (home, car, pensions, retirement accounts/ ira's, bank accounts, ins policy) for my children. My intended spouse, lives in another state and has agreed that he does not want any entitlement to any of my pre-marital assets in the event of my death. Do I need to have pre-nup agreement executed, and can I do this in writing.   Do I need to go to an attorney to create this document? What is the general expected cost, etc.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 5 years ago.
What state do you reside in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live in Tennesse, my intended spouse lives in Massachusette
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I live in Tennessee, and my intended spouse lives in Massachusette

Thank you for your information.

Both Tennessee and Massachusetts are known as an equitable distribution states. This means that assets owned prior to a marriage are considered separate property and not subject to division by the court in a divorce.

However, if you put your new spouse's name on the separate assets, they will become marital property subject to division and creditor claims of your spouse.

A prenuptial is useful to avoid later confusion or disagreement in the event of a divorce, death or creditor claim.

To be enforceable, prenuptial agreements must be entered into without fraud, duress, coercion or overreaching. A full disclosure of the spouses' property is required as well as representation by separate counsel. The prenuptial must have two witnesses and be notarized.

I hope that I have fully answered your question and the answer was helpful to you.

Please CLICK ACCEPT so I can receive credit - Bonus = job well done.

If you have any additional questions that you would like me to assist you with, you can start your question off with: This question is for FLANDNYLAWYER.

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What is the general cost of this type of service?

We do not draft documents. However, a local attorney would typically be anywhere from 1500 -5000.