Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

Does my ex-husband still have to pay child support if daughter

Customer Question

Does my ex-husband still have to pay child support if daughter is 18 and a full time college student?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- Child support is determined by the support order issued by the court. If it says he has to pay until she turns 18 then it should now end. If it says he has to pay until a different age then it would continue until then and if it says child support stops when she enters college then it should stop.

Obviously I cannot read the order to make a determination but in any event, if there is a reason for support to be stopped then your ex can file a motion with the court to terminate support. Most child support orders are fairly explicit as to when support is to be terminated but some are ambiguous or do not cover all possibilities.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law