John, Lawyer
Experience:  Trial Attorney, licensed in FL, GA, & AL. Rated 10 / 10 by avvo.

at what age does a parent stop paying child support in the

Customer Question

at what age does a parent stop paying child support in the state of mo?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

Termination of Child Support Obligation.
Unless the circumstances of the child manifestly dictate otherwise and the court specifically so provides, the obligation of a parent to make child support payments shall terminate when the child:

(1) Dies;

(2) Marries;

(3) Enters active duty in the military;

(4) Becomes self-supporting, provided that the custodial parent has relinquished the child from parental control by express or implied consent;

(5) Reaches age eighteen, unless the provisions of subsection 4 or 5 of this section apply; or

(6) Reaches age twenty-two, unless the provisions of the child support order specifically extend the parental support order past the child's twenty-second birthday for reasons provided by subsection 4 of this section.

If the child is physically or mentally incapacitated from supporting himself and insolvent and unmarried, the court may extend the parental support obligation past the child's eighteenth birthday.

-From Section 452.340 of the Missouri Revised Statutes.

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with? Did I answer you question? If not, please let me know how I can help further. If so, PLEASE click accept, so I can receive credit. Thank you.