Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I am going through a divorce in Tennessee how much of my 401K

I am going through a divorce in Tennessee how much of my 401K retirement is she intitled to and there is a loan balance on the account that was made during the marrage?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
She would be entitled to the portion of the 401K that was earned during the marriage. This is usually determined from taking the total amount of the 401K over the percentage corresponding to the length of marriage. Only that percentage from the marriage will be distributed according to the equitable distribution state of TN, which begins at 50% but could go up or down depending on the following factors as determined on a case by case basis. The balance of the 401, would be treated as your separate property.

Quoting TN Equitable Distribution factors:

The duration of the marriage;

The age, physical and mental health, vocational skills, employability, earning capacity, estate, financial liabilities, and financial needs of each of the parties;

The tangible or intangible contribution by one (1) party to the education, training, or increased earning power of the other party;

The relative ability of each party for future acquisitions of capital assets and income;

The contribution of each party to the acquisition, preservation, appreciation or dissipation of the marital or separate property, including the contribution of a party to the marriage as homemaker, wage earner, or parent, with the contribution of a party as homemaker or wage earner to be given the same weight if each party has fulfilled its role;

The value of the separate property of each party;

The estate of each party at the time of the marriage;

The economic circumstances of each party at the time the division of property is to become effective;

The tax consequences to each party; and

Such other factors as are necessary to consider the equities between the parties.

As to the loan balance, the court will first want to see the purpose for getting the loan. If it was to benefit the marriage, then both of you would be responsible for the payment. If the loan was for the personal benefit of one of the spouses, rather than the marriage, then the spouse who incurred the debt, could be solely made responsible for the balance.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator