Family Law Answers
Family Law Answers, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  more than 16 years experience as an attorney - current family law litigation + mediation practice
12143673

My husband left the house we rent 5 months ago. I spoke to

My husband left the house we rent 5 months ago. I spoke to him 5 times since then and he expreces no desire to return. We have been married for 4 yrs. For 9 months he did not work i provided for the house. He began working in Sep. of this year, but still did not help me financially. If i apply for the divorce, is it posible for him to be ordered to help me financially so that the bills can be put "up-to-date". We have no children, but i do have 4 of my own.

Hi and thanks for your question.

When you file your petition/complaint for divorce, you should request that the court order your husband to be responsible for helping out with paying outstanding and ongoing bills. He won't be responsible for child support, but may very well be held responsible for paying bills/debts incurred during the marriage and pending the divorce.

I hope that I answered your question. If I did, please click the green Accept button. Thanks very much and best of luck with this.