RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

My husband became ill a few years ago and has been unable to

My husband became ill a few years ago and has been unable to work. Social security/disability has been applied for but it has been over 2 years.   What responsibility do I have legally for debt that was obtained in his name only. We live in the state of Ohio.
Thanks for your question. You have no liability for debt in his name. If you r name did nto appear you aren't liable here. If you own property together in both names it might be vulnerable.

Also any joint accounts here as well. Keep your stuff separate in your name including bank accounts, property, etc. Creditors cannot touch things in your name only here. You can protect yourself here pretty easily by keeping it separate. Also be careful to not sign any guarantees if he has to go in the hospital. Make him sign himself only..