InformationForYou
InformationForYou, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  18 years as a family law attorney, adjunct law professor
12569237

I dont know where to start. My husband is very emotionally

Customer Question

I don't know where to start. My husband is very emotionally controlling. He has said some things to our daughter that have been very hurtful. I need to get out of this marriage for my children and my sake. My problem is that my husband will not make it easy. He refuses to leave and says I will never see a dime from him. He also is not an american citizen so he could leave and I am left with nothing. I can not live on my own without his financial help. What are my options? CR
Category: Family Law
Expert:  InformationForYou replied 8 years ago.

Unfortunately if someone wants to fight for the purpose of fighting (i.e. because he wants to drag it out, not pay you a dime, make things difficult for you), you have no choice but to go along with the litigation process. If he refuses to leave and you cannot stay, then you should consider leaving. If your child is a minor, you'd be entitled to child support. If you're worried about him paying the support once it is ordered, you could seek an income deduction order or garnishment so that his child support is paid right to you from his employer. If he leaves the country then while the U.S. Order would still be valid and enforceable, obviously if he isn't here to enforce it on, then you would have a problem.

Please hit "accept" so that the company pays me for this response. Thanks.