RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

My husband and I have gauardianship of our grandson and his

My husband and I have gauardianship of our grandson and his parents rights were terminated. How do we adopt him in MO.
Submitted: 8 years ago via RomingerLegal.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. You would file for adoption in the court where the termination was granted. You are going to need a lawyer here to file and represent you in the matter. If parental rights were indeed terminated there would be no one to notice here since you are the guardians.

This shouldn't be complicated but it is critical here to get the paper work correct. The court submits the adoption decree and they amend the birth certificate and put your names on it as the parents of the child.

Here is lawyer referral through the state bar. You get 1/2 hour office conference for $25. This is a great place to get started...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Would we need to travel to Texas for court? He came to us through foster care from Texas to Missouri.
It would depend where the legal proceedings wer filed. If they were in Texas that court would continue to have jurisdiction. It doesn't matter that parties relocate it matters where the original filings where. The court continues to have jurisdiction and hear the matter..