How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask InformationForYou Your Own Question
InformationForYou, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1956
Experience:  18 years as a family law attorney, adjunct law professor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
InformationForYou is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed against my wife for divorce, she countersuited. We

This answer was rated:

I filed against my wife for divorce, she countersuited. We have now decided that we want to try one more time. We are basically done and agree on the divorce terms and custody. So, my lawyer recommended that we file for a Reconsilation Dismissal and then we can reinstate the original divorce suit and go through with it. We want to wait till Mid January and then decide. My question is, what is the number of days that we can reinstate the orignal law suite if we dismiss for reconsilation? My lawyer thinks it is 120 days in Michigan. Or is there another route?   We basically want to stop spending all money on lawyers and try to make things work in therpy.

A Reconciliation/Dismissal is when parties to a domestic relations action work out their differences and decide to remain together as a family unit. All court actions will terminate. Since what you're doing is actually dismissing the current suit, if you do so without prejudice (which means either of you can refile), you could very well be able to refile when or if you please in the future.


Please hit "accept" so the company pays me for the response. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sorry my question is how long is the time limit to refile?

Again, I don't believe you have a limit on when you have to refile. And that should make sense because what if you reconciled for 4 years and it didn't work out or 2 months and it didn't work out? You should be able to refile if/when you determine the reconciliation was a failure.


Please hit "accept" so that I'm paid for the responses by the company. Thanks.

InformationForYou and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you