Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I need the definition or criteria to calculate disposable income on

Judicial Council of California form FL-350, Question 1a requests Mother and Father's "net monthly disposable income." How is "disposable income" defined in this context and what is the criteria for calculation?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
Disposable income is defined as: "the amount of net income left after making mandatory deductions of State, Federal, and local taxes, Social Security tax, and Medicare tax."

The criteria on calculating it is provided in California Family code 4059 [below]. The better approach is calculating it using the California child support Calculator from the state here. The calculator goes through the process of finding out your disposal income and child support amount that would be due.

Quoting Family Code on determining disposable net income:
4059. The annual net disposable income of each parent shall be
computed by deducting from his or her annual gross income the actual
amounts attributable to the following items or other items permitted
under this article:
(a) The state and federal income tax liability resulting from the
parties' taxable income. Federal and state income tax deductions
shall bear an accurate relationship to the tax status of the parties
(that is, single, married, married filing separately, or head of
household) and number of dependents. State and federal income taxes
shall be those actually payable (not necessarily current withholding)
after considering appropriate filing status, all available
exclusions, deductions, and credits. Unless the parties stipulate
otherwise, the tax effects of spousal support shall not be considered
in determining the net disposable income of the parties for
determining child support, but shall be considered in determining
spousal support consistent with Chapter 3 (commencing with Section
4330) of Part 3.
(b) Deductions attributed to the employee's contribution or the
self-employed worker's contribution pursuant to the Federal Insurance
Contributions Act (FICA), or an amount not to exceed that allowed
under FICA for persons not subject to FICA, provided that the
deducted amount is used to secure retirement or disability benefits
for the parent.
(c) Deductions for mandatory union dues and retirement benefits,
provided that they are required as a condition of employment.
(d) Deductions for health insurance or health plan premiums for
the parent and for any children the parent has an obligation to
support and deductions for state disability insurance premiums.
(e) Any child or spousal support actually being paid by the parent
pursuant to a court order, to or for the benefit of any person who
is not a subject of the order to be established by the court. In the
absence of a court order, any child support actually being paid, not
to exceed the amount established by the guideline, for natural or
adopted children of the parent not residing in that parent's home,
who are not the subject of the order to be established by the court,
and of whom the parent has a duty of support. Unless the parent
proves payment of the support, no deduction shall be allowed under
this subdivision.
(f) Job-related expenses, if allowed by the court after
consideration of whether the expenses are necessary, the benefit to
the employee, and any other relevant facts.
(g) A deduction for hardship, as defined by Sections 4070 to 4073,
inclusive, and applicable published appellate court decisions. The
amount of the hardship shall not be deducted from the amount of child
support, but shall be deducted from the income of the party to whom
it applies. In applying any hardship under paragraph (2) of
subdivision (a) of Section 4071, the court shall seek to provide
equity between competing child support orders. The Judicial Council
shall develop a formula for calculating the maximum hardship
deduction and shall submit it to the Legislature for its
consideration on or before July 1, 1995.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am employed by a single-shareholder california S-corp (I am the single shareholder). I have a salary and dividend income. Am I allowed business expenses to be deducted from that income, since all taxation is "pass-through" for an S-Corp?
Thank you for your reply.

That issue varies from state to state in California you may be able to deduct the business expense as a pass through if they are considered necessary business expenditures which benefit the business not the owner personally. That is in essence at the discretion of the court. You can include it, but will be decided by the court at a review hearing.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator