The Judge
The Judge, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Active family lawyer & former Family Court judge with over 30 years experience in family law.
4588605

what are the parental rights of an unwed father in the state

what are the parental rights of an unwed father in the state of new jersey
Category: Family Law
Expert:  The Judge replied 8 years ago.
Hello niblack,

An unwed father has NO parental rights in New Jersey until a court grants you parental rights.

To establish parental rights, you must file a paternity action. DNA tests will be performed on you, the mother, and the child. If the tests come back positive, a hearing will be held and you will be declared the legal father of the child. At the hearing you will be ordered to pay child support and you will be given visitation rights, as well as a number of other parental rights.

I hope this answers your question. If there is anything that you do not understand, please let me know and I will be happy to explain further.

In the meantime, please click "Accept" so that I may be paid for my answer and any subsequent follow-ups with you.

Thank you,

The Judge

P.S. I am frequently asked how someone can specifically request that I, personally, answer a question. Here’s how: for new questions in the future, always begin your question with “QUESTION FOR THE JUDGE.”