Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I WANT MY PRESENT HUSBAND TO ADOPT MY CHILD AS HIS REAL DAD

I WANT MY PRESENT HUSBAND TO ADOPT MY CHILD AS HIS REAL DAD HAS NOT BEEN IN TOUCH WITH IN OVER 3 YEARS WHAT CAN I DO?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
The adoption cannot move forward without his consent or through a court petition to terminate parental rights. Since it appears he can be reached by phone you need to ask him for his current address or work place where the consent forms can be sent to him. Otherwise, you would need to petition the court to terminate his parental rights. To get the process started you would first have to attempt service of the termination petitions at his last known address. You would then have to show reasonable efforts in attempting to locate him (through family, friends, last place of employment etc...) then you file an affidavit of reasonable efforts in order to request notice of publication in the newspaper to satisfy service of process. This would take about 4 weeks before a hearing can be heard and to determine your termination request. So unless you can get dad to give you a mailing address, you will have to go the other route and file to terminate his parental rights so that the child can be freed for adoption.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice.I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner. Thank you.