JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

I am 79 and would like to move to a federally subsidized apartment

I am 79 and would like to move to a federally subsidized apartment complex here in Tx. I have close to fifty thousand in assets which keeps me from qualifying. My choice would be to equally divide my assets among my children, but the application specifically asks if any assets were given away in the last two years. Is there any way I can legally qualify?
Not at this point. They look at at least the last two years to see if you qualify. I think the period of time now is actually six years.

Don't turn in the application if you don't qualify. That puts you in their records.

You may want to set up a trust with the money for the future, that way you retain the use of it (kind of) but it isn't in your possession for government purposes.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sense to me. I appreciate your advice.
Good luck to you.