InformationForYou
InformationForYou, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  18 years as a family law attorney, adjunct law professor
12569237

Is there any way to go back to court to re visit whether or

Customer Question

Is there any way to go back to court to re visit whether or not alimony should be awarded. i have been divorced for almost three years and have had a horrible time trying to make ends meet.   I know its probably too late, but when we divorced there was no child support awarded but the judge had said that child support could be revisited....can alimony?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  InformationForYou replied 8 years ago.

If alimony was waived at the time of the divorce, it can't be granted now unless and only unless the order granted a "reservation" to later seek alimony (which is fairly rare). Child support, unlike alimony, is always modifiable...and if/when child support stops because the court order requires it to stop or if no child support is ordered at all but your ex is paying you voluntarily, then it is considered a "gift" and you should take it for as long as you can because when it stops the court can't require him to pay child support after the statutes say child support stops.

Please hit "accept" so that the company pays me for my response. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is it possible to get the court to extend the date of his child support to continue til the youngest child graduates from college?       

Child support terminates at 18 in NH, unless your agreement and court order say that it will go beyond that time. So if he is paying you after that time for your kids, again you're getting a "gift" from him, that could stop at any point.

Please hit "accept" so I am paid for my responses from the company. Thanks.