Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

How do I get a divorce from a person that I have not seen or

Customer Question

How do I get a divorce from a person that I have not seen or know where he is in 4 years. We have no children, property or assets together. I don't have a job and currently disabled so my money is very limited. I never submitted the application for the marriage license to the state records but has since lost the certificate. I was able to change my name to my married name, but can't change it back to my maiden name.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 8 years ago.
You will need to file a petition for divorce and if you're not able to locate you spouse after reasonable efforts and reasonable time then the court will allow you to serve your spouse by publication. Print of the notice of intent to divorce in the newspaper. After time has passed the Judge would accept publication as proper notice and your divorce would proceed.
You can go to the following link to obtain forms and assistance. Good luck.

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/divorce/getstarted.htm
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for you answer. As long as I don't have to have any contact with him because of prior abuse, I think i will be fine. thank you once again.
Best of luck.