How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and her husband were turned in to DHS for child

Resolved Question:

My daughter and her husband were turned in to DHS for child abuse. I am the only living biological grandparent. Her husband is step-father to the three boys, ages 11,9, & 7. They blame me for the visits from DHS. Now, the children have not been allowed to visit me. Do I have grandparent's rights in Mississippi? I have begged her to bring them to see me. No visits and no response. Please give me some advice. Thank you, XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 8 years ago.
In Mississippi, chapter 16 of Title 93 essentially divides visitation rights for grandparents into two scenarios. Under Mississippi Code, Sec. 93-16-3 (1), a grandparent can petition the court for grandchild visitation if:
the child of the grandparent was not awarded custody; or
the child of the grandparent had his/her parental rights terminated; or the child of the grandparent had died.

Under the second scenario in Mississippi, Sec. 93-16-3 (2) states that in all other cases the grandparents can get visitation rights if the court finds:

That the grandparent of the child had established a viable relationship with the child and the parent or custodian of the child unreasonably denied the grandparent visitation rights with his or her grandchild; and That the visitation rights of the grandparent with the child would be in the best interests of the child.

Daniel Solutions and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions