Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years

My daughter and her husband were turned in to DHS for child

My daughter and her husband were turned in to DHS for child abuse. I am the only living biological grandparent. Her husband is step-father to the three boys, ages 11,9, & 7. They blame me for the visits from DHS. Now, the children have not been allowed to visit me. Do I have grandparent's rights in Mississippi? I have begged her to bring them to see me. No visits and no response. Please give me some advice. Thank you, XXXXX
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 8 years ago.
In Mississippi, chapter 16 of Title 93 essentially divides visitation rights for grandparents into two scenarios. Under Mississippi Code, Sec. 93-16-3 (1), a grandparent can petition the court for grandchild visitation if:
the child of the grandparent was not awarded custody; or
the child of the grandparent had his/her parental rights terminated; or the child of the grandparent had died.

Under the second scenario in Mississippi, Sec. 93-16-3 (2) states that in all other cases the grandparents can get visitation rights if the court finds:

That the grandparent of the child had established a viable relationship with the child and the parent or custodian of the child unreasonably denied the grandparent visitation rights with his or her grandchild; and That the visitation rights of the grandparent with the child would be in the best interests of the child.