Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years

I live in the state of TN. My final divorce decree was issued

I live in the state of TN. My final divorce decree was issued in January 08. My ex was ordered to pay 1200/month which includes private school, aftercare and extracurricular activities that my son has participated during the entire marriage. My ex is a registered nurse and since receiving the child support order has stated that he is no longer working overtime and will seek to have the order decreased no later than March due to a substantial decrease in income. Would they adjust the order based on his choosing to discontinue working overtime.
Generally this would not lead to a downward modification because dad took steps to voluntarily reduce his income. In situations where a parent voluntarily reduces income or does a wrong act (crime) that results in lose of income (termination of employment due to incarceration), then the support order remains the same.