Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.
635143

Spousal Support for marriage of 48 1/2 years. Husbands income

Customer Question

Spousal Support for marriage of 48 1/2 years. Husbands income $2500 Community Rental property monthly, $918.78 Pension Monthly, Social Security $1245 Monthly. Wife's income $536 monthly Social Security. Why did my lawyer only get me 400. monthly. my utilities alone come to $800. I have had to take loans from Parents, Sister, and now I am asking my 4 daughters to help me pay my bills.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

The court is bound to consider 14 statutory factors in making a California spousal support order (Ca Fam § 4320(a)-(n)). But so long as the statutory factors are considered and weighed (as applicable in a given case), the ultimate decision--as to amount, duration and whether to retain spousal support jurisdiction--rests within the court's broad discretion.

Generally the amount of spousal support has no relation to your monthly expenses. If your attorney only got you $400 a month, ti is possible that after running the numbers that this is was the appropriate figure in light of the circumstances.

I am sorry. However, if you are displeased with your attorney, you can ask him why the amount is on $400 a month. You have the right to understand why this is the appropriate amount of spousal support for you circumstance.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
this was of no help whatsoever
Expert:  Law Girl replied 8 years ago.
I am sorry. What information can I provide that would be of more assistance?