Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

we were liveing in vt, I went back to syrcuase ny and she moved

we were liveing in vt, I went back to syrcuase ny and she moved back to ballston spa ny the kids are all in school in ny can I file for custody here where I live or where she lives we both have been in nys for 1 mounth and she filed in vt
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Proper jurisdiction for a child custody case is the homestate of the children. Homestate means the state where the children are living at the present time. This would be NY since they are living there and are going to school there.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.