Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution

I understand that I must pay child support until my son turns

Customer Question

I understand that I must pay child support until my son turns 18 and/or graduates from high school. In the state of Alabama is there any requirement for me to pay if he is enrolled full time in college. There is nothing in our divorce decree regarding my obligation to pay anything for college.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.

No, you do not have to pay while he is in college - as you stated your obligation ends when he turns 18 and/or graduates from high school. If, as you stated, there is nothing in your marriage settlement agreement to the contrary.

However, you must petition the court for the child support to terminate upon his reaching 18 or graduating - the child support won't automatically stop but will continue until you petition.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

How do I go about petitioning for termination of child support?

Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.
It's simple - just file for termination of child support at the family division court where the child support is now entered stating: the child is now 18 and has graduated from _____ high school on _______; therefore, child support should be terminated.