The Judge
The Judge, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Active family lawyer & former Family Court judge with over 30 years experience in family law.
4588605

i am in california. my kids have asked that i pay pta fees

i am in california. my kids have asked that i pay pta fees for myself, buy something from a fund raiser and help support the school by donating water, paper etc. to the school. i pay child support and think this should take care of these fundraiser and pta dues. what exactly does my child support go for? doesnt it iclude these extras
Category: Family Law
Expert:  The Judge replied 5 years ago.
Hello stephen,

Your child support is all that you are legally required to pay to or for your children. If you don't pay it, nothing can be done to you. (Although your ex-wife will not be required to join the PTA in your name.)

If you choose to do the things that your children are asking, you will not be allowed to offset those amounts against your child support obligations. The law will consider it a gift from you to your children.

I hope this answers your question. If there is anything that you do not understand, please let me know and I will be happy to explain further.

In the meantime, please click "Accept" so that I may be paid for my answer and any subsequent follow-ups with you.

Thank you,

The Judge

P.S. I am frequently asked how someone can specifically request that I, personally, answer a question. Here’s how: for new questions in the future, always begin your question with “QUESTION FOR THE JUDGE.”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i understand i am only legally obligated to pay child support but isnt fundraisers and pta included in this money?
Expert:  The Judge replied 5 years ago.
Hello again, stephen.

By law, your child support is required to be spent on the needs and expenses of your children. So, yes, by that definition, fundraisers and pta dues are included in your child support.

Stephen, I really want to make sure that I understand the question that you are asking, and that I am answering that question.

If this answer still does not answer your question, please let me know and I will be happy to answer it further.

But, in the meantime, please click "Accept" so that I may be paid for my answer and any subsequent follow-ups with you.

Thank you,

The Judge

The Judge, Family Law Attorney
Experience: Active family lawyer & former Family Court judge with over 30 years experience in family law.