Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

My husband and I are concerned about his daughters mental

My husband and I are concerned about his daughter's mental well-being... Her mother continually makes her feel bad about herself, blames her for problems that are not her fault, daily yells and diminishes her self-esteem... She wants to come live with her dad and I. She's 16 years old. We live in Charlotte, NC... What grounds can we seek legal advise on? Her mother sometimes hits her, as well. Although we haven't seen marks left after the hit, we do NOT agree with this... Please advise...
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- Your husband should make a motion with the court for a change of custody. The court will listen to testimony from a 16 year old and, unless there is some compelling reason that she should not live with her father, the court will likely grant the change. In a case such as this it would not require that you actually prove the abuse since the daughter can speak for herself.

The motion must be filed in the court that granted the custody order or the court of current jurisdiction.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law