How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 24870
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend is a drug addict and thief with one shoplifting

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend is a drug addict and thief with one shoplifting charge that she is on probation for, and a new arrest for stealing and using my credit card for over $1,000. No arrests for drug use, although she's been stopped and her car dog-searched by the police after leaving a house under surveilance. She says she'll go to rehab but if this fails, can I get custody of our daughter? Also, can she take our baby out of state without my consent?

Most certainly. All you will have to do is file an emergency motion for custody relaying this information to the court and the court will award you full custody - they may not even want her to have visitation unless she goes through drug rehab or something first - it depends on the court. Also, you may be liable if you don't take action and she causes a problem - you knew of her problems - thereby placing the child at risk.


No, she can't take the child outside the state without your consent - unless it's just a routine visit or something with family members and only one or two nights.


I would bring the emergency motion immediately.

Law Pro and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you