Family Law Answers
Family Law Answers, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  more than 16 years experience as an attorney - current family law litigation + mediation practice
12143673

My husband has sent a certified letter to me, He called me

My husband has sent a certified letter to me, He called me to tell me that he filed for a divorce. I want to work on the marriage. What are my rights
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Law Answers replied 8 years ago.

Hi and thanks for your question.

Unfortunately even though it takes 2 people to get married, it only takes 1 to get divorced. You should first talk to your husband and tell him you want to try to work on the marriage. If he doesn't agree and files then you could request that the court order marriage counseling. Sometimes the courts will allow this. Otherwise, there isn't much you can do legally to prevent the process from moving forward toward the inevitable end result of a divorce. Make sure that you comply with all deadlines and that you remain involved in your case - the worse you can do would be to ignore everything because it will move forward without you and if you don't respond or participate, the court would issue a default order against you.

I hope this answers your question (even though it might not necessarily be the answer you want to hear). If I did answer your question, please click the green Accept button. Thanks very much and I wish you the best of luck here.